Now that you’ve finally chosen the perfect shed for your backyard, you’re probably excited to start storing lawn equipment and other outdoor gear ahead of the fall and winter. But before you can start using your shed, have you properly anchored it? Anchoring is vital to any structure and often ensures that the building will remain erected safely and securely for longer. While most ShelterLogic and Arrow Storage Products sheds come with anchors, you may want to invest in anchors better adapted for your specific foundation. That's why we've come up with a few shed anchoring tips to ensure you're using the proper shed anchoring system for your foundation.
Shed Anchoring Basics
Why do you need anchors, anyway? Shed anchoring is essential to your safety and the safety of the items you plan to store. Without following proper anchoring instructions, or securely anchoring your shed to your foundation, you run the risk of not only invalidating your warranty, but you could really get hurt. Whether rain or shine, you want to be sure your shed is properly anchored and will stay in place as much as possible. Here are a few must-do's before purchasing anchors for your shed.
Step 1: Make sure you check with local ordinances and zoning laws before erecting a shed on your property.
Step 2: First, identify your soil condition or type of foundation you will be attaching the shed to. If necessary, contact a civil engineer to consult with about the proper foundation requirements, soil conditions, and anchor types you should use when assembling your structure.
Step 3: Take note of your shelter manufacturer along with the number of legs on your shed. Most choices suggest one anchor per leg.
Step 4: It’s time to select your anchor! Use our chart to identify our recommended anchor types. Notice we sell many of these on our shop.
ShelterLogic Shed Anchoring Kits
For a ShelterLogic shed, there are a variety of anchors to choose from. Here is a helpful anchoring guide to get you started. Most choices recommend one anchor per leg. For clay, gravel, sand, or soil, or asphalt foundations:
- Ratchet Tite Anchors: This choice includes 4 Easy Hook cast steel anchors and drive rod. It combines the versatility of Easy Hook Drive anchors with the simplicity of Ratchets.
- Easy Hook: These are constructed of solid steel, and come with 4 cable clamps. They are easy to drive, pull, and secure.
To embed in concrete, or use in sand or packed soil:
- Shelter Auger- This choice allows you to embed in concrete, or use in sand and packed soil. Constructed of heavy-duty powder-coated steel, the innovative corkscrew design will make installing a snap.
Arrow Shed Anchoring Kits
Shed anchoring is essential when purchasing an Arrow shed, as well. You will find a variety of Arrow anchors to fit every shed and foundation type. Anchors for most soil types:
- Earth Anchor Kit: This is a versatile choice that allows you to permanently anchor your shed. It includes corner bracket and screw augers.
- Earth Anchor (auger and cable): This kit anchors deep into the ground, but also allows you to unscrew and remove if needed.
Anchors for concrete:
- Concrete anchor kit: This is your choice if you are planning on anchoring your shed to a concrete pad. Includes steel corner gussets, perimeter clips, lag bolts, and drill bit.
Anchoring your shed can be as simple as knowing what type of base your shed will be anchored to, along with choosing the proper anchor based on the manufacturer of your storage solution. Shed anchoring adds strength, stability, and durability. Whether the forecast predicts a hot summer storm or wicked winter weather, shed anchoring ensures peace of mind that your investment is safe and secure.